March 30, 2010

Passover

Yesterday & Today Josh and I have to opportunity to spend lots of extra time over at his parents house to celebrate Passover. Last night we had a really lovely evening filled with tradition, lots of laughs, and yummy food. I even tried out a new recipe... it came out ok! I don't think I'd make it again... but it was worth a shot.

Toffee-Chocolate Matzah (Martha Stewart)

4 sheets of Matzah

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup packed dark brown sugar

12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips



1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees

2. line baking sheet with parchment paper & place matzah in an even layer on baking sheet

3. melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and immediately reduce temperature to low. Cook, stirring, adjusting heat as necessary, until sugar has completely dissolved and begins to bubble. Drizzle toffee over matzah and spread to cover using a spatula.

4. Transfer toffee-covered matzah to oven and bake until toffee has a rich, shiny sheen, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Tent matzah with aluminum foil and let stand 20 to 30 minutes.

5. Remove foil tent and spread melted chocolate over matzah to cover; sprinkle with sea salt. Transfer matzah to refrigerator and let chill at least 2 hours.

6. Break chilled matzah into pieces. Matzah will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature.

VARIATIONS...

Josh insisted that we use white chocolate. So I melted down the chocolate & spread over the Matzah. I also sprinkled walnuts on some of it, Heath Bar bits on other, & left some plain.


I didn't make anything special for tonight. But I may try out some new things for Josh for the rest of the week. I came across a really great blog today called Cara's Cravings. She's got a lot of great Passover Recipes listed. So we'll see what I get to the rest of the week.

No comments: